Thread: Fermenting.
View Single Post
Old July 23, 2016   #222
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
I'd like to know about the texture of fermented peppers too. Its so convenient to pull out a homegrown pepper in the winter but I always have more than I can use for chili in the freezer.

Cabbage did really well this year so I went back and read most of this thread. I figured I would buy a kit rather than fashion up a crock or try a diy for my initial batch.
I called all the typical kitchen stores like bed bath and beyond with no luck. My last call scored these mason jar kits. The kit is just a lid for a wide mouth mason jar and a weight. It is on "sale" for $9.99 reg $14.99 at Natural Grocers.
Now the watch and wait.

- Lisa
Lisa it looks great.
My peppers are crunchy what can I say.
I dont follow recommended water bath canning to do this and neither do the commercial canners bottlers or folks that put them in the jars.

What they do is pasteurize at a lower temperature longer time this kills the fermenting process and they do add vinegar it also makes the jar seal.

Some of the bottled pepper sauce isn't even sealed so the speak it goes in the bottle and out the door.

The Claussen pickles and Kraut aren't processed.
My refrigerator Kraut isnt processed but the lids are sealed because I put room temperature product in a cold refrigerator.
This in effect caused the air and everything in the jar to shrink and seal the jar.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote