View Single Post
Old July 21, 2016   #54
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carolyn.

All the rootstock that I use now are resistant to all three races of fusarium since I seem to be afflicted rather badly with them all. Up until 7 or 8 years ago any hybrid plant with resistance to two types of fusarium had no problems but then things changed. When I started grafting I tried rootstock that were resistant to all three and some that were only resistant to two races of fusarium. Almost all of the grafts on rootstock resistant to two races of fusarium got fusarium before the end of the season but most got sick before they produced much fruit and then things went downhill from there. I might have had one or two cases of mild fusarium with the varieties resistant to three types of fusarium over the past few years but not enough to wilt or kill the plants. My production since using grafting has been through the roof compared to non grafted plants but I still have to deal with the foliage diseases, pests and TSWV every year.

I have noticed that overall my problems with foliage diseases has decreased since I started grafting all my plants and most of my seeds are saved from my own plants. I think this is due more to healthier plants not infected with fusarium, my support system and pruning plants in a way that spraying coverage is much better than to any resistance brought about by the rootstock. Of course I could be wrong about that but my pest problems have not slacked off in the least other than it is easier to spray the plants when the pests get too bad.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote