View Single Post
Old July 13, 2016   #28
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
"Oh for I forget, I was asked on the ones I put in freezer bags whole. When they thaw them. Will they turn mushy or do they stay firm? Said I would ask as I new at doing this myself."

They will be mushy fully thawed. I take out a dozen and in a very short time (15-20 minutes) they will be icy soft/firm and can be cut easily in half...so many ways to use them.

You need to read up and experiment. I mention freezing just to deal with the abundance you have, then in the cooler fall/winter months you can take out some and deal with them at that time. Delicious. A sheet pan in the oven with onion and garlic roasted on low heat for an hour or two will slightly 'dehydrate' them and make a lovely sauce...cut in half or left whole.
I have an abundance of harvest come late August/September and roast, dehydrate, freeze whole slices, roast/smoke in the smoker, then freeze for winter salsas....a hundred ways to prep for the freezer. I still have a few frozen bags of whole toms and whole cherries and smoked sauces in the freezer from last year using up now....made a fresh 'ketchup', a bbq sauce, etc. And soon i will have this years crop to deal with.

I would try something now with some of your fresh cherry toms. If too hot for your oven try your friends dehydrator or use your grill. I make a foil try lined with parchment to roast/smoke on the grill. Off the coals on the less hot side. This pic is last year early fall of mostly tomatillos for the grill/smoker. Just an hour they soften and get grilled/smokey then into the cuisinart for a coarse chop for salsa and pasta sauce. I think i end up doing about 20 trays over a few weeks, then freeze for the winter.
Yummy! That tray looks so inviting. Makes me want to reach out and eat some.

We finally got some rain last night and so I cut more tomatoes for seeds then took the left over parts and cut up. I put them in a sealed container in the fridge. Have to go to town later today to mail out some seeds for folks and am gonna stop at corner store and get garlic and olive oil. Out of them.

Gonna try drying some tonight of those parts I saved. Question I have is even after I squished so much juice out to go with the seeds, there still a bunch of juice when I cut the tomato left over tomato pieces up. Is it ok for the juice to be on them or do I need to try and get some of it off before putting in oven?
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote