View Single Post
Old July 11, 2016   #22
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardeninglee View Post
I have some old grape tomatoes from Trader Joe's that sat in the fridge for too long and probably 30% of them turned into tomato raisins! I tried one and they were sweet and chewy just like raisins. There were probably 10% that had mold on them and the rest were still plump. I wonder if there is a way to turn them into raisins in the fridge w/o it going moldy?
I have no idea. Haven't heard of tomatoes acting like that. Tomatoes don't last long enough around me to get wrinkly or moldy. Life would be very dull without mater sandwiches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamom View Post
Aloha Starlight,
I dehydrated some of my tomatoes the last couple of years and they were/are so tasty, you have to stop yourself from eating them all as a snack! My dad had dehydrated his homegrown tomatoes about 8 years ago when he was still alive. About 2 yrs ago, I scraped some seeds off several different color pieces of his dried tomatoes and planted them. They germinated and grew! It was so exciting and wonderful to have grown the same tomatoes my dad had grown. I was able to save and share the new seeds with my sisters and friends even tho I didn't know the names of the tomatoes. Anyway, dehydrating them (as others have suggested) is a great idea too.
I agree that is so cool! You have a bit of your dad to cherish and remember and an heirloom tomato going. Sometimes names are not important, it is the flavor and the memories that count. Hope folks keep your dad's tomato line going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
How cool is that Hulamom!

Here's info on tomatoes in oil. If there are no herbs/garlic on them, they can be stored at room temp.

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/fch...ablesinoil.pdf
Thanks for the link ! Tomatoes really are a versatile fruit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Star, I just got finished making tomato juice. It's pretty easy and you can freeze it in zip-lock bags for later use. I used Porter cherry tomatoes.
Maybe sometime when you get a chance, you can give me your recipe and steps on how you did it. I enjoy alot of juices, but hate to say this tomato juice is not one of my favorites. Maybe it is because I never had fresh tomato juice before only the stuff in the little metal cans. Yucky tasting stuff.

No rush. I'm having fun trying everybody's methods and freezing tomatoes. What's great too is I can bag up some to give to folks too and they can eat later. Especially the elderly who don't eat a whole lot all at one time. Making tiny bags for them.

This freezing is so much easier than trying to learn to can or worrying if the jars sealed good enough or are gonna pop from temps changes and humidity here and spoil.

Oh for I forget, I was asked on the ones I put in freezer bags whole. When they thaw them. Will they turn mushy or do they stay firm? Said I would ask as I new at doing this myself.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote