View Single Post
Old July 7, 2016   #14
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaGardener View Post
I think they mean to soak the dried tomatoes in olive oil, but I'll let whistech answer.
Can you tell I am not the best cook around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan66 View Post
You could also blend them up and freeze tomato sauce.
Susan
Thanks Susan! The idea of fresh tomato sauce on spaghetti come winter sounds lovely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whistech View Post
You need to cut the tomatoes in half and dehydrate them. Store in a ziplock bag and when you want "sundried" tomatoes in olive oil, take some tomatoes out of the ziplock bag, put them in a container with a lid, pour extra virgin olive oil over the tomatoes, covering by at least one half inch and let the container sit on the cabinet 3 or 4 days. The tomatoes will be ready to use anyway you would normally use sundried tomatoes. You can store the tomatoes in olive oil in the fridge for 2 or 3 weeks safely. I have stored them longer than that but I believe I read that 2 weeks was the safe amount of time they could be stored in the fridge.
Thanks for explaining! This is the first year I have ever had an abundance of tomatoes to work with. Trying to do this saving is new to me. Even with all the ones I am giving away to feed folks who can't grow or homebound I have oodles left and more still coming.

It's going to be so exciting to open the fridge come winter and find homegrown tomatoes that I know taste good instead of buying from corner store.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote