Thread: F1+F1 questions
View Single Post
Old June 10, 2016   #10
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake_HTX View Post
Question #1
Which donor would be the dominant trait? The pollen donor or the stigma/ovary donor? If it even works that way..
Most traits don't depend on which parent they come from. Most. There are the occasional traits that are expressed differently depending on which parent they come from, due to genetic imprinting. I haven't heard of any specific traits with this characteristic in tomatoes, however.

Quote:
Question #2
I have seeds from a Patio Princess plant that I bought from the nursery. Since Patio Princess is a hybrid those seeds would be F2 correct?
If those seeds were produced from a selfing, then yes, F2.

Quote:
Question #3
If I grow those F2 seeds and cross them with a different F2 or F1 that would create another F1? I saw in another thread that F1+F1(other)=F1 but F1+F1(same)=F2 (basically self-pollination).
Using those terms, my question would be: F2+F2(other)= F1? | F2+F1=F1 ? What if its Patio Princess F2 + Patio Princess F1?
The "F" in F1, etc., refers to "filial", meaning a generation successive to the parental generation in the experiment.

By convention, the parental generation is composed of two stable varieties (meaning they are highly inbred/homozygous). The first generation cross (F1) is then highly heterozygous, as well as highly consistent between individuals. The next generation (F2) is highly diverse due to genetic segregation. Each subsequent filial generation is produced by selfing (F2 -> F3 -> F4 ...), each generation will (on average) have about half the diversity (and heterozygosity) of the last.

If you cross a F1/F2/etc. from one experiment with a F1 from another experiment, you aren't starting with highly inbred parents, so you will have a lot of diversity in the resulting generation. You could refer to the resulting mix as F1s, but the "F" nomenclature doesn't really fit them very well. Orchid breeders coined the term "grex", meaning all the offspring from a cross of two [specific] hybrids, for exactly this scenario. The more heterozygous the parents of the grex are, the more diverse the grex will be.