View Single Post
Old March 1, 2006   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

(I saved seed from the potato leaf plant and now have a pretty stable medium sized purple with good productivity and flavor. The big problem is that this is my selection - anyone else could have gotten something different....)

Is what Craig said.

And he carefully pointed out that it was his own selection and that others getting seed could no doubt still see the instability.

If I had made a selection from the PL one it would have been stable as well, since we're not talking about genetic flip flop here as we are, or I was, when talking about the variety Taps.

Remember that Craig also pointed out that he got seeds from TGS when it was first offered.

When one reads thru the SSE listings for Black Brandywine for the several years it's been out there, one often sees the same comments made here as to wrong fruit forms, leaves etc. It seems to be luck of the draw as to which seeds are sown.

After all, this was a variety that arose in the growing fields of my NOT favorite wholesale firm Seeds by Design in CA, no one knows what the black parent was and there are no doubt many possibilities based on what they were growing that summer, and so it's clear that they released it, and I think TGS was the first to offer it, before it was stabilized.

When you do that, each person growing it out is stabilizing, or destabilizing it as the case may be, in other words creating their own genetic line, since not all who grow it distinguish between wrong foliage and wrong fruit form, and there's then no consistency in seeds that are passed on to others.