View Single Post
Old June 3, 2016   #14
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardeninglee View Post
I may have started too early in growing some of my tomatoes. There are 4 that have grown to the max that my support can handle (4 or 5 feet now). Should I start rooting some of the suckers and pull out the old plant and put a new one in its place?

I haven't gotten very many tomatoes to set yet because of all the foggy weather (my cherries just started setting this week). Very frustrating since I've probably lost a couple of hundred blooms (I have 16 plants on my patio)! Most are on the smaller side about a foot high since I haven't had much sun but a few have grown to be huge already.
I do a bunch of successive plantings starting in January-Feb, and just change the population makeup based on the projected weather. Production is less than ideal in certain months, and a few will be grainy from cold damage, still better than store ones.

Don't think of the flowers as lost tomatoes, it'll just hurt. Think of it as a way to assess your stewardship.

If you put in a fresh plant now you'll be having Thanksgiving tomatoes that matured and grew during those optimal late summer-early fall months.

Rooting suckers ( or growing tips for that matter) saves you a few weeks. It's also a good way to keep hybrids going. I have two Odoriko plants that were fully reborn from growing tips. Vigor stays more or less the same.

This June portends fungus.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote