View Single Post
Old June 2, 2016   #10
BajaMitch
Tomatovillian™

I have read that tomato plants need overnight temps no lower than 55 F and daytime temps no higher than 85F. That's a pretty stringent range. However, that was the reason I didn't plant until May 5 this year as overnight temps were dipping into the mid to low 40s F just before May 5.

It appears to me now that tomato plants, generally, have the ability to withstand overnight lows lower than 55 F, they just don't "flourish". That is, they just don't grow much, but they just stay a little dormant and will not die. Bottom line, next year I will plant in mid April, no matter what the temps are. The temps in
winter got to mid 30s F and they kept their composure OK. I mean, last year I planted on July 1st and the plants lasted until mid April 2016 when I took them out to start this years planting. The July 1st plants didn't die, not even close to dying, they just weathered it out, literally, until mid April with no real problems at all, they just didn't thrive.

On May 5, 2016, I planted Momotaro, Early Girl, Celebrity, Cherry Red, Cherokee Purple, and San Marzanos, all in Containers. So far, the Momotaro is doing the best in a self-watering bucket with Cherokee Purples and Cherry Reds a close second. Love the color of the Momotaros. Canardlywait to eat a Cherokee Purple.

Got a question. Can you cut a sucker off and plant the sucker? Will it grow in the right potting mix?

Last edited by BajaMitch; June 2, 2016 at 10:38 PM.
BajaMitch is offline   Reply With Quote