View Single Post
Old June 1, 2016   #9
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
Can't grow peppers but still try. They hate me and my chilly mornings. Even if the early morn sweater comes off and 80 by 8am...I get dwarf plants with just a few peppers
Try putting two pepper plants of the same variety you are growing in the ground in a 5 gallon bucket with two 0.5" diameter holes 1.5" up from the bottom of the bucket, fill the bucket with quality growing mix, feed every 2 weeks with a balanced fertilizer, organic or not, your choice. See if the bucket peppers do a lot better than your in ground peppers. If they do then I'm guessing there is a nutrient or soil problem (disease, drainage or temperature) with where you are growing them. If they still do poorly, perhaps the area doesn't get enough sun or you live in a very cool location? But I can't think anywhere in the lower 48 where that would be an issue aside from high elevations or maybe in a region of persistent cool coastal fog.

The comment about putting them out too early is a good suggestion too--when do your lows routinely stay above 45-50F?

Last edited by jmsieglaff; June 1, 2016 at 03:59 PM.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote