View Single Post
Old May 25, 2016   #45
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everybody....I took all my plastic plant trays out (and the plants ) and put an electric blanket across the rails that go side to side to support my plants I then put polystyrene boxes on the electric blanket (to lift the Plant trays closer to the lights ) and put my trays and plants back in ....I then hung ordinary blankets round the freezer shell ..I have now got the air temp up to 60 F ...its still not high enough but I could try moving the electric blanket to on top of the polystyrene boxes which means my plastic trays holding my planter pots would be sitting directly on the electric blanket .Goodness knows what the temperature was before I did this..and that is why no doubt my plants were not showing much growth in the last 2 weeks....

Now I am cold !!!! cause the lights were keeping the house warm and now the heat is being trapped but of course my tomatoes come first...

Now I do not know the rules very well ....I could attach photos but these photos are already up on another forum and I do not want to be a problem...So I will give the link and if anybody wants to see what I am up to ..its all there....including my latest larger freezer ...which is for the plants now growing to be transplanted to in far larger pots..

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...978#post562978

It started with my joining and seeking advice on growing laterals???and then moved on??

If anybody does go to the page above I would be grateful knowing if i have hung the temperature guage in the right place....Its circled in one of the photos ....

My latest freezer will have 2 x 100w ceramic heat bulbs wired via a STC-1000 Thermostat (very similar to a WH 7016 ) and I will ensure they are in a position not too affect the freezer lining.....I am hoping two will be good enough to supply warmth in the bottom of the freezer and whether a good idea or not I am seriously thinking of putting an alloy/plastic composite cover on the freezer top ....it will have holes cut out to enable each of my stainless steel planter "pots" to drop through individual holes and rest on the rails.....My reason for this is to keep most of the warmth in the freezer round the planter drums (which by the way have small holes in their sides because they are washing machine drums) so the warmth will get right in where the roots are ....and hopefully will use less electricity with a cover....

Neighbours and Gardening centres think I am crazy but I welcome any criticism or ideas that may help me move onwards...and yes my HPS lights etc will be used if I get bulbs...along with a lot of CFL bulbs..

Regards Ron NZ..

Last edited by murihikukid; May 25, 2016 at 09:39 AM.
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote