View Single Post
Old May 21, 2016   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazeofslate View Post
Haven't seen a whole lot of birds flying indoors.
Thanks for the link by the way. I know that fish pepper is variegated and that it is stable, but what I meant to ask was more among the lines of is what happened to my vezanka seedling a genetic mutation ? And yes, I'd like to know if I could stabilize that trait and if it would reoccur in the next generation if I save seeds from this plant. My guess is that the albinism gene is probably recessive rather than dominant. That would mean that I would need two parents which both carry that gene for it to be expressed in the next generations, right ? Then I guess i could always try and hybridize it with the fish pepper and see what happens.
Still, it'd be pretty cool if I could just save seeds from the vezanka seedling and have a line of albinos/variegated vezanka peppers.
But, that's definitely not bird poop hah ! My fingers would have been a bit sticky from having rubbed that leaf... And that bird would have been a bit bold to do such a thing in my bedroom (which is located on the 7th story of a tall building !)
I agree that the albinism gene is probably recessive,so would only show up in the homozygous recessive state.

There's a similar situation with a tomato variety called Variegata or Variegated.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Variegated

There are much better pictures than what's shown at Tania's site,but the point I want to make is that there have been other variegated tomatoes,but one has to clone them to keep them going,this one is special since it's the only one that comes true from seed.

How true that might be with your pepper situation I don't know,but you might want to take cuttings of your
Vezanka plants until you find out whether it is transmitted via seed,or not.

And just how was I to know that the plants were in your bedroom 5 stories up?

Carolyn