View Single Post
Old April 26, 2007   #1
David52
Tomatovillian™

Default Container growing questions

I read somewhere on this forum that container growing eggplant gives a higher seasonal production than one would find from the regular garden as the soil warms earlier. As we have very cool nights, down in the 40's until July, I thought I'd give this a try, and today filled a dozen 5 gal containers with soil, all ready to go. I have eggplant seedlings that are on their 4th true leaf, about 3 or 4 inches high, in 4" x 4" x 6" deep pots, in the greenhouse, a couple Asian varieties, Apple Green, Listada di Ganja, and an African variety, 3 flats worth.

- Do I want to get them in the larger pots asap, or should I wait until they are larger, then bury the stem as one would a tomato?

- can I put 2 or 3 in a 5 gal pot, or should I leave it at 1? Figure a 110 day growing season, in the garden they get, maybe, 2 feet high.

- I mixed some compost, old used potting soil, and dried pond bottom soil as a mixture, which should have all the micro nutrients, any other feeding suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!