Thread: Kumato
View Single Post
Old April 30, 2016   #43
travis
Tomatovillian™

Gardeneer, there is a huge gulf of reality between saying "I know lots of people who say Brandy Boy is an OP or "stable hybrid" (whatever that means), and the facts. Same applies to Kumato.

One is rumor, the other is fact.

Moreover, there is no such thing as a "stable F2" since all F2s are 50% homogenou and 50% heterogenous.

I wish I could access my old photobucket so I could post several photos of Brandy Boy F2 leaf shapes. I had photos of 6 different leaf forms, one form per each F2 plant. Proof positive that Brandy Boy F1 is a true hybrid cultivar.

If I can get my laptop up and running properly, I will make another post demonstrating a prime example of a hybrid whose two parents are so similar that you might think it's an OP or a "stable hybrid" but where each parent in fact was bred to carry specific traits that when combined in a homozygous F1, work together to assemble the desired superior results. Yet when the F2s are grown, you will see the superior and the deleterious traits segregate out and recombine differently.

The resulting F2 fruits may appear similar enough to lead a casual observer to declare something like "Carlina Gold must be an OP or stable hybrid that the breeder calls a hybrid so he can breed cheap and sell high ... blah, blah, blah ..." But that sort of babble is unsubstantiated and a disservice to the breeder.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote