View Single Post
Old April 23, 2016   #8
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
Bill nice catch on my math mistake. Recovering from surgery here so I flaked out on that detail. Glad you caught that.
Yes you have 800 square feet.
So up the lime to 50 lbs and the fert would be 2.2 lbs of N needed
Which is 8.5 lbs of N in your 50 lb bag times 2.2 equals 18.7 lbs of 17-17-17 fert over your garden.
Probably spread half of that as your pre plant fertility and follow up with side dressing with something else later.
Stick with the calcitic lime you have because we don't want to add the dolomitic lime until we know there is a need for the extra magnesium.
You can sample your soil in the late fall after everything is dead. By then your compost and other ingredients will have reacted and mixed with your base soil. In the future, get powdered or pulverized lime if you can because it is the finest particle size so it will react the fastest due to more surface area.
The fast acting hydrated lime is relatively new so I can't tell you first hand about that. I do know you use a lot less of it. But you are doing a small area so no big deal. It is handy for the guy who needs to spread 20 or more bags of regular lime on his lawn. He only needs to push around less than half the material with the fast acting stuff.
The mg soil should has fert already in it so once you water in your seedlings when u up pot, u should be good until transplant.
I certainly hope you doing better now with your surgery. It does take a while tho i'm sure of that.

Flaked no... Your awesome for taking the time to even post. Thanks for recalculating that for me. I am straight now and understood everything you have said.

I just need to get out there and clean up that tree i dropped a few days ago. It had some kind of poison ivy on it and me and my girl are suffering from it bad now. I think standing to close to fire while burning is how it got us. My lord i am tore up. I have Calamine Lotion on all over me. It's driving me nuts and I really don't want to touch that tree again. Man I just don't have a choice tho.

Anyway...

Is there some kind of online fertilizer calculator you guys use or something?

Thanks Again
Bill
MrSalvage is offline   Reply With Quote