View Single Post
Old April 14, 2016   #40
b54red
Tomatovillian™

This year I am growing two varieties Gypsy and Coronado Crown. Both are making huge heads averaging over 8 inches across right now. I'm sure I will get a few smaller and I have already gotten quite a few much larger. The Coronado Crown is a bit latter making and is larger and has a more domed head. I picked 5 heads today and could only fit 4 of them in a five gallon bucket and had to carry the other one in my hand. My cauliflower is doing almost as good making heads about 7 to 8 inches across. I am growing two varieties of it also one is Snow Crown and the other is Bishop. The snow crown has made much earlier than the Bishop which has not made one yet. I am waiting to see how large it will be and if it tastes as good because the leaves make a much better wrap over the actual cauliflower. I use clothespins to pull and hold the leaves over the heads on the snow crown to keep them white. It is still rainy, cloudy and cool so the plants are loving it though I can't keep any dipel on them so the worms may start taking a real toll on them soon. I have been feeding them a mix of Liquid Lawn and Texas Tomato Food and they seem to like it a lot. This is the finest crop of both that I have had in the last 20 years so I am already overwhelmed with it and looking for some neighbors who might like some because there is no way my wife and I can make a good dent in it.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote