View Single Post
Old April 7, 2016   #14
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaGardener View Post
Great job! Thanks for sharing the instructions and especially the pictures!
Thank you, and your welcome. I like pictures because it is true, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Thanks! Seems simple enough.
It really is that simple. Obviously different size bows/hoops would require different amounts of pipe. If you go to the "Hoop Bender Peoples" website they have the info. on quantities of pipe, etc.

On another note, if you dont want to fool with their website, and you want a simple calculator:

http://math.about.com/library/blcirclecalculator.htm

If you plug 12 in the box for diameter it will tell you the circumference is 37.6991118. Divide 37.6991118 by 2 (because you are making a half circle) your answer is 18.845. Thats how much pipe you need per bow to make a perfect half circle. Obviously we dont have to be that accurate. Im not cutting the pipe down.

A 20 foot wide hoop:

62.83/2 = 31.41

You would use 3 pieces of the pipe.

The calc. is nice because you can check on how much waste you might have, without going thru the trouble to actually make the bender and bend the pipe. For instance, lets say you wanted a 16 foot wide house.

50.26/2 = 25.13

You have 2 options. Cut off roughly 5 feet of pipe, or do the math and leave approx. 2.5 five feet on each side straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I don't see a way to secure the hoop to the rebar stake? My first greenhouse was a Clearspan kit. The ground stakes are slightly larger pipe than the hoops, which slide into them and then carriage bolt together.
Obviously this is something that an individual would have to take into consideration based on their location. If I lived in the Plains or the Midwest, then I wouldnt hesitate to use concrete for anchors.
Im in the Piedmont region of NC, so no coastal winds and no mountain snows. Its pretty ideal really. With that being said, I will probably use the same method that is on my small GH. It uses 30 inch ground stakes with steel cable in each corner. So far, so good.

Last edited by FourOaks; April 7, 2016 at 08:14 AM.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote