View Single Post
Old March 29, 2016   #38
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Here's an update on the greenhouse.

Since nobody is in charge of the greenhouse, and just about any paid staff of the school can get a key (but I can't), there are now several projects going on so my idea is dwarfed to about 1/4 of the space. We started with a simple experimental project to observe the growth habits of the same tomato variety (Napa Giant) grown in differing conditions. Because I tested the germination of my saved Napa Giant seeds back in October 2015 and I had 5 out of 5 sprouts, and at the same time I "discovered" this greenhouse I met up with the original staff member who was working the greenhouse and we were excited to utilize it. Then, one-by-one more people got interested in the greenhouse and nobody has any "rights" to it, resulting in various projects. There is a project run by a biology teacher who is growing only native plants to plant in the nature garden (I'll get some pictures of this tomorrow...its pretty cool). There is a special ed teacher growing flowers for her students to sell, which is a wonderful project that I fully endorse. There's another project that I don't know what's going on, and then there's our project. We have the 5 Napa Giants growing and we are documenting all treatments to the plants. One plant is a single stem grown in a 5 gal container, and a 2 stem plant also in a 5 gal, then a 1 stem in a 10 gal, and a 2 stem in a 10 gal, and an unprunded in a 10 gal. All are grown in Happy Frog soil and are now getting Texas Tomato Food. We also have some other veggies just sown, but the guy I'm working with didn't let me use much of my seed so we are growing what he wants. There is also a couple of outside projects underway. It is good to see the interest and enthusiasm of the high school students involved. I've included some pics of the tomato plants back in December, and a shot I took of a 1 1/2 lb Napa Giant I took yesterday. I'll get more pics of the whole thing tomorrow (hopefully).

Thanks for your interest, and to Nancy for the seeds. None got used this year but I'll lobby for them to be used this fall.

Charley
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160108_123404.jpg (421.3 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 20160328_130936.jpg (280.5 KB, 66 views)
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote