View Single Post
Old March 26, 2016   #23
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakedIn View Post
Tabasco's the right amount of heat. Never really liked the McChelheny sauce though, or any sauce with too much vinegar for that matter. Tried a time or two to make my own mash method style and it came out about like the traditional stuff, only maybe slightly worse/

So I started using was the dried and finely ground powder first, then "backfilling" with vinegar. You get a thick sauce this way and are able to add the bare minimum of vinegar.
McIlhenny Tabasco sauce is fermented with salt like they do sauerkraut for 4 weeks and then it is mixed with vinegar and aged some more like 3 years but I feel the last part isn't necessary for the home owner unless they want to start now and continue doing it every year.
Here is the link.
http://www.tabasco.com/mcilhenny-company/about/

Now at the bottom of the story they talk about generations of people working there.
I myself have met, been very good friends with and known 3 generations of people that grew up there and worked there.
The grand mother the son and the grand son plus many others.
One of them I called Sid because he looked like Sidney Poitier, and he called me Emmitt after Emmitt Smith the football player due to the size of my legs.
Well any way they told me that when you took the top off of the wood barrels it would almost knock you down.
There is no processing no cooking and you wont even come close unless you ferment your peppers.
This is the part that gives it the flavor it has.
There is nothing you can add to it to make it taste that way.
I do this at home myself now.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote