Thread: Radishes
View Single Post
Old April 14, 2007   #41
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmaniac View Post
Tom,

I admit, I just cook them. I cube them and sautee them like the others. They can also be grated over salads. I bet Andrey would know what to do with them. I am getting some seeds from him that he listed in the SSE yearbook.

I have grown as many of the types as we could find seed for. So far, I haven't grown one I didn't like. They are all very different. I sold many at a local growers market and it was amazing how many people came out of the woodwork that grew up eating the various varieties from their homeland.

You are right, sometimes the green/ white ones (the variety I grow is "green meat" from Kitazawa) are very sweet. I guess it depends on how often I decide to water them. You are also correct in that they will bolt quickly. We have a small planting window here in early September and then they grow through the winter. If there is a big cold snap followed by warm temps. they are done for!

Andrey... can you help us???

Tiffanie
Russians (Slavics) have been growing and eating radish for ages. Our classification divides them into 2 types - redis (radish) and red'ka (winter radish, some large summer radishes + daikons).
We've tried a lot of common small size radishes of different colours (red, pink, white, yellow, red/white, pink/white etc.) and grow several daikons (our Gostinets and some Japanese varieties) + winter radishes (black, red, green and white).

Common small sized radish is mostly used in different salads (mized with oil and many other vegetables).

There are many Russian traditional dishes and salads with/from red'ka. The simpliest salad is grated red'ka with carrots and oil or maionesse. Another is from grated red'ka, cheese and garlic + sour cream or grated red'ka, pumpkin, carrot + oil/maionesse.

We also like a traditional Russian soup with kvass and red'ka. It is very fresh and spicy. But you can find kvass (a traditional Russian drink made of bred) only here in CIS unfortunately

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kvass

I believe most of you know about our traditional soup called borshch. Often we add grated red'ka's roots + cutted in pieces red'ka's greens in borshch along with traditional beets and tomatoes in summer. It is called "summer borshch".

Red'ka is widely used in medicine here. Red'ka with noney mix is a great cure against cough and bronchitum. It is also a good cure against flu - just cut the top of red'ka (we prefer black winter round type) and make a small round hole, then put some honey and cover the top of red'ka with something and leave for a half of day. Then drink this mix and eat the whole red'ka. You will meet next day with 100% health

The easiest way to avoid bitterness from reddish or red'ka is to put them in milk for several hours

And I have to add juice made of red'ka's greens are very good source of sexual potency

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote