View Single Post
Old March 24, 2016   #12
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Zeedman, I think you are right. I think they are tomatillos. There are several plants growing that bed. I took a flashlight out and looked at other tomatillos growing that I planted and they look the same.

I grew green (Verde) tomatillos in 2014 that produced way more than we could pick and use. The soil in that raised bed came from 30-50' away. I need to save a couple volunteers tomorrow.

Thank you Zeedman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeedman View Post
That looks like a tomatillo. I have better success with tomatillo volunteers than I do when planting them on purpose.

For most C. annuum peppers, I plant in rows 12" apart, with plants 24" apart in the row, in a staggered pattern row-to-row. This works out to about 15" between plants, and they are quite healthy & productive at that spacing. I mulch heavily around the plants to keep weeds down, but on poorly-drained soils - or where drenching rains are common - that might not be a good idea.

I would agree with those who mention that other species can grow much larger, and might require more space and/or greater care in their placement. Fatali grew over 3' tall & 2' wide even in my short summer.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote