View Single Post
Old March 16, 2016   #18
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Default Early Spring

I think we're going to have an early spring this year. Everything is popping up early, first are the crocuses.

Garlics are sticking out.

Planted lettuce seeds March 8 outdoors under plastic. Last year, I did the same planting March 31. Thinking hey, let's see what happens. Last year's lettuce did well this way. So since we had a warm snap, I tried it even earlier. I even used seeds from last year's packs. What do I have to lose? Planted Rocky Top mix from Baker Creek and some Black Seeded Simpson. Pic is Black Seeded Simpson today.

I started onion seeds January 21, 2016. Here is one of two flats on March 12. I've been giving them field trips outdoors on nice days. Onions are not something I have pursued much. I'm mostly obsessed with tomatoes. However, last year, my father-in-law got some onion seeds and offered some to me. His plan was to just plant the seeds in the ground in spring. I thought that couldn't possibly get them big enough before they bulb. I started mine indoors as soon as I got the seeds, but sort of late for starting onions I think. Some February 27 and some March 4, 2015. I wasn't very nice to the onions once tomato time started. I didn't give them enough attention, let them dry out, never fertilized them, and put them out to harden on bad weather days. Most of my seedlings died. This is not typical for me. I don't know why I was so indifferent to the onion seedlings. Perhaps it was because it wasn't my idea to start them. I had ordered onion plants from Dixondale already. I did get good onions from the surviving seedlings however. They were as good, actually produced bigger onions, than the onions from plants I mail ordered. So this year, I decided to start them earlier and be nicer to my onion seedlings this time.

jhp is offline   Reply With Quote