View Single Post
Old February 12, 2016   #7
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

I love Nero Di Toscana and Red Russian. I had a few plant's outside in my garden, and here are a few in my GH. They were planted from seed, and then transplanted in late spring. They produced all summer and well past fall into mid winter since we had a mild December. I picked the leaves young, which are more tender, and tasty, and used in stir fry, soups, salads and smoothies. Also stir fried in olive oil and garlic, (sometimes with bacon) or steamed along with some wild rice. I toss a few chopped leaves in scrambled eggs and sauté some for putting into omlette's.. I used the leaves in everything.. When the leaves were larger I still used them, but they took a bit longer too cook till tender. The plant's grew over three feet tall. One plant just keeps producing..The stalk was extremely thick. They finally kicked the bucket in January after a few day's of freezing temperatures.

PS: I always grow a few extra to give to our chickens and pigs to snack on. They love kale.

Ginny

I agree with Robert, Throw some chopped leaves of Nero De Toscana, in with your own version of Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana soup, it is delish!!

Last edited by barefootgardener; February 12, 2016 at 03:07 PM.
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote