View Single Post
Old January 27, 2016   #5
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus1 View Post
I grow about 500 goliath every year. I've also tried Big Beef, Beef Master, and Better Boy in side by side trials { always 2 years on the trials ] . The production for me here in CO was comparable on all 4 varieties. The first fruits on the Goliaths crack a little then later sets are crack free. The other 3 cracked from start to finish with Beef Master the worse. Taste wise Goliaths ruled with Big Beef a close second the other 2 I didn't care for.
Marcus
Thanks Marcus, along with the Cornell reviews , that's another one for Goliath. It also says a lot that you grow 500. (Wow!) I've also read that it does well in cooler climates, which is a plus here. And it has the same disease tolerance as BB (VFFNTASt). I'm definitely leaning toward Goliath, but I'm still open minded, so all comments are appreciated.

jmsieglaff,It will also be interesting to hear comparisons of other varieties going head to head. I'm glad you've joined in.

And BigVanVader, I hope you'll compare varieties grown side by side during the coming season. I'm sure folks here will appreciate it.
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote