Thread: Tom's Taters
View Single Post
Old March 31, 2007   #21
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Mary
Quote:
I was wondering why the breeding program on the west side of the mountains?
I moved my breeding program to Redmond, WA.from Bakersfield, CA. since my wife relocated here three years ago as a Financial Analyst with the now new AT&T.

She works for pay while I work for play, or so it seems.

Quote:
Is that where all the potatoes are grown? I've never heard of seed potatoes grown anywhere in Washington than the east side of the state, in Ellensburg, Yakima etc.
Naw. Potatoes grown in Skagit County are known for the high quality of reds, Yukons, Whites, and Blues. Eastern Washington is known for the Russet families. Over 90% of my potato breeding has to do with non russet classes. Earlier my proprietary potato varieties were all grown in the county north of Skagit in Whatcom County as certified seed. My research is done in four counties in Washington plus in several locations in California where ten of thousands of boxes of my varieties are marketed.

I actually prefer the cool, wet climate of the PNW over the hot dry climate of Kern County, California. It is my Manx blood that conditions me to the climate here. Since I am a Tater-Mater by profession, what better place to be?

Tom
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote