View Single Post
Old December 25, 2015   #46
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Honestly... go with real greenhouse products. they are designed for that and will hold up way better and be cheaper in the long run... they are more convenient to get your structure together and will not bend and flex or deteriorate like other products will. Everything is uv stable, galvanized so there isn't rust and designed so there aren't pieces sticking up that you are needing to cover so you aren't ruining the plastic. When you need to dismantle it it comes apart and you can put it back together easier than the "jigsaw puzzle" you rigged trying to do it cheaper. The greenhouse plastic lasts at least 4 years unless you ruin it with a knife or some other sharp object. What is your time worth? sometimes spending a little more costs less in the long run.

Carolyn I agree with this for the most part for most people.

On the other hand with the equipment I have at home I can whip out just about anything I want.
It would also be far superior to much of the stuff you can buy and in the long run cheaper.
It would also take very little time.
In all honesty I wouldn't bend a big hoop because I can take a stick of EMT and bend a 30 degree bend on each end and a 60 degree bend in the middle.
Or you could bend 45 degree bends on the end and a 90 in the middle.
Everyone prefers the 30 degree bend because on most benders when it is 30 degrees the handle is pointing straight up.
Also if you want to make a 4 inch offset you just double the distance between two marks and bend with the 30 degree bends.
I have almost 30 years experience bending pipe and conduit from 2 1/2 inch on down.
EMT is rated for outside use according to the NEC if used with weather tight fittings.

Honesty I dont know why anyone would want to bend a hoop in EMT conduit when you can make the same thing with 2 30's and a 60 very easy.
The bender costs 31.99 at home depot for a 1/2 inch EMT bender.
If anyone is interested I will be more than happy to help.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-1-2...-046/100341459

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote