View Single Post
Old December 23, 2015   #58
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Then there is the guy in New Zealand where the plant police showed up at his door, pulled up his plants in the garden, and gave him a summons to appear in court for his "crimes".

Folks, please think carefully about sharing seed across national boundaries, particularly where diseases can be so easily spread. We do NOT need more invasive species and invasive diseases limiting what we can grow!
One guy? Are you kidding? Gardens are illegal in New Zealand! Lots and lots of people had their gardens destroyed. If you want to read a really hilarious thread on reddit about this, full of sarcastic kiwi humor: Can you have a garden in New Zealand?

Here is one of the best posts about 1/2 way down. I couldn't stop laughing.

Quote:
My brother was killed in the Moutua Gardens protest. My uncle lost an arm in the 1981 Spring Bok-choi Riots. My sisters were arrested and thrown into prison, without trial, by a police-led mob after they were discovered re-potting gardenias. Every day I live in fear, alienated by my community for having relatives marked by the Green Thumb. I envy the dead.

and

Quote:
I'm disturbed by some of the comments here. Promoting gardening is just irresponsible. Fruit and vegetables cause harm, and there is an alarming trend of veggie use amongst young people.
Apart from being illegal in New Zealand, gardening can be a gateway to other antisocial and illegal activity. Kids might start with potatoes and carrots, but pretty soon progress to harder vegetables like spinach and bok choi (or "greens" as they are known on the street). In rare instances, some people cross-addict to herbs and spices also with potentially disastrous results.
The growing number of produce dealers (also known as "P" dealers) especially in urban centres and in low socioeconomic areas is a huge social issue and one that ties up way too much police resources.
I have been a fruit and vegetable counsellor for a number of years, and some of my clients have suffered majorly as a result of long term vegetable misuse. honestly, the produce epidemic is one of the biggest issues facing our communities.
I have no issue with casual lawn growing, especially if it is for personal use at home. It's more the big commercial market gardens that do most of the damage, making large scale produce easily accessible to young people.
I saw a young couple sharing an orange openly in the street the other day, juice running down their faces and hands. I just felt so sorry for them. As shocking as that is, it's nothing compared to what is going on in small town New Zealand where whole paddocks of grain, cauliflower and corn can be seen growing. It's got to stop.

Too many more to list.

Edited to add: One last honorable mention, just because I love puns.
Quote:
Yeah. I've done thyme for gardening before.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; December 23, 2015 at 12:35 PM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote