View Single Post
Old December 20, 2015   #1
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Default In south central WI. What onions should I plant?

In an earlier thread someone asked about how much they needed to plant and these numbers seems about right. I also use them in our meals daily. Usually all three.
"50 sq. ft. of garlic (planted 6" OC) and about 75 sq. ft. of onions (also planted 6" OC)"

There are just so many kinds in each catalog I don't know what to pick! I'm in south central Wisconsin so I know I can do long or intermediate day onions. And I have our fresh eating only onions picked out. But I don't know what kinds to plant for storage.

So far I have a packet of Rossa di Milano, some Egyptian Walking Onions, and some multiplier onions (unnamed -from my dad). So what else do I need?
We like cutting up red onions for raw uses and mostly use yellow sweet onions for cooking. I'm trying to decide which shallots to buy too.

For fresh eating I have Borettana Cippolini onions and Red Flat of Italy onions (I'm planning on also pickling these and freezing for stews),
Evergreen Long White bunching onions and Italian Red of Florence bunching onions (these I will stagger so we have a constant crop, and also dry the sliced greens for winter, maybe I can just grow inside when it's too cold?)
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote