View Single Post
Old December 18, 2015   #54
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
To take care of Fe deficiency, probably I will throw in bunch of nails Just kidding
Gardeneer
Believe it or not, my Dad swears by the technique in order to make hot peppers even hotter.

No idea if it is just a myth or real, but I can attest to the fact that the year he forced me to try it, we got the gosh darnoodley hottest hot peppers I ever grew. Our jalapenos were almost as hot as the super hots. Of course we had a heat wave/drought that year too, and I also experimented with silicone sand. And the garden was super rich with cow chicken rabbit and green manures. So could have been anything really. Still my Dad swears by it. I am not sure I believe it. A bit more skeptical than that. But something made those Jalapenos super hot. Even the normally mild banana peppers were as hot as a normal jalapeno.

ps I just thought to add, My experiment with silicone sand turned out a complete flop. The idea was that adding sand to my heavy clay loam soil would turn it into a lighter sandy clay loam soil. Also that since my soil base was limestone, the silicone base would be better. Turns out all is does is make bricks.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; December 19, 2015 at 05:50 AM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote