Thread: Fermenting.
View Single Post
Old December 14, 2015   #83
Rairdog
Tomatovillian™

There is a reason why wood barrels are chosen for whiskey and rum. They can add certain flavors. Those same barrels can be later used to flavor and age beer.

Just talking out loud here. Wood is considered a natural defense to bacteria when allowed to dry OUT. That's why it has been successful for 10's of thousands of years as a staple cutting board. It has also been used to cure and hold wine, whiskey and rum. As I said, those flavors can be passed onto the beer. Now they have sour beers which rely on lactobacillius absorbed in those same wooden containers. Each wooden container can hold a different lacto that puts a different flavor in sour beer.

IMO wood in a cutting board can dry out and sterilize itself. Wood under constant moisture will hold different bacteria and lacto's that can change the outcome of your ferment.

Like I said, I'm just thinking out loud and wonder how wood in contact with lacto will react. Say you take a wet homemade wood top and transfer it from one ferment to another.
Rairdog is offline   Reply With Quote