View Single Post
Old December 14, 2015   #94
joseph
Tomatovillian™

If I use 72 cell flats, that works out to 1296 plants that can fit on the bench. If I use 3.5" pots, they hold 18 plants per flat, so that works out to 324 plants. I suppose that I'll do some of each. I also expect to use some 48 cell packs for the okra and tomatillos.

The bench is running east/west. That means I could put a shelf above it to hold 6 flats, and I could put about a dozen flats under the shelves. In addition, there is space on the floor opposite the bench for about 24 flats. So altogether it could hold 60 flats, still leaving a good walkway. Last year, I started cold-tolerant things like onions and mint in the greenhouse, then moved them outside when I needed room for the tomatoes.

My intention regarding heat, is to heat only on very chilly nights. Just enough to keep the tomatoes from freezing. I don't yet have the heater selected nor installed. I really like propane heaters. Are there other types that are easy and effective to use? I intend to do germination indoors in a heated box, and then move the flats to the greenhouse a couple days after sprouting.

I hammered the legs about a foot deep into the soil.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote