View Single Post
Old December 6, 2015   #56
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Guys I read all of the comments above and laughed out loud at every one but Kurt's, but he wasn't trying to be funny.

Here is a discovery I made that was right over my head all of the time.
Literally right over my head.
Those ceramic bases can have Y connectors put in them.
In other words I can double the amount of watts in every one of them 2400 watts
Or I could just add the red spectrum bulbs where I want them.
I have this same ceramic light socket over my head right now with a Y connector in it and two 100 watt CFL lights at 55 K.
Why I started putting these ceramic light bases in and replacing the existing fixtures is.
I had to take a fixture out one time because it stopped working was old and I didn't like it.
To my horror I found out the people were using 100 watt incandescent lights in a fixture that was only rated for 40 watts or something.
The insulation on the wiring was baked off and there was bare wire ready to start a fire.
These ceramic light fixtures are rated for 660 watts, 250 volts.

Here is something else I stumbled on this morning.
By accident I realized that not only can you put 4 72 cell trays with three lights each under them.
You can turn the trays the other way and put 6 trays under them with two lights each.
That's 432 tomato seedlings under one set of lights.

Now here are a few thoughts on lights.
We have to stop thinking about lumens.
We need to concentrate on light spectrum and watts this is what the plants see.
Lumens are measured from visible light we see not what the plant sees for a large part.
If we lived in a world that only provided the light spectrum that plants need it would be a stage looking world indeed.
Hers are some plants growing under LED grow lights tuned to what plants want blue and red.

Not bright at all but I have read you need to wear protective glasses to look into them.

Unfortunately common household lighting is designed for people not plants and the Lumens are for us not plants.
So if you were the take the wrong spectrum for plants with a super high lumen like green the plants wouldn't see it no matter how bright it was.

As for the CFL lights I have not drawing as many amps as the T% lights I dont know how that happened it baffles me.
My on line calculator must be wrong or something.

A few thoughts on reflectors and shades.
By far the easiest thing to use is very bright flat white paint.
Mylar is good also.
Aluminum foil is horrible.
Mirrors are horrible.
Again they are reflecting light we see but not necessarily the light plants see.

Here is something strange some of you might not have noticed or thought about.

Objects reflect light, the color of that object is the reflection of the pigments that make up that color reflecting it back to us.
If we were to filter out the green spectrum of a light source we would not be able to see a green abject as green.
This is why the farther down a diver goes the less color they will see.
The thickness of the water filters out the light the deeper you go.
Another example is the type of light you use.
I have worked in dark buildings that the only light source was artificial.

We had to work with colored wires and we had to know what color they were to make connections.

If the artificial light was poor and far away some colors would go away and the wire would change colors.
The only color that you could see would be part of the pigment to make up a color not all of it.
Very strange.

As it stands now I have no idea if my light setup will work, I hope it goes.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote