Thread: venison burger
View Single Post
Old December 3, 2015   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
I might have to order stainless steel. Mine already have a couple rust spots on them. I assume I should probably wipe them down with oil before storing, huh?

Anyway... everyone liked the meatloaf. I even liked the texture. not crumbly like regular beef meatloaf.

I made it with 2#'s of ground meat (no fat added), 3 eggs, 5 slices of bread soaked with milk, a handful (maybe too big of one) dried garlic , about 1/4 cup of bacon ends and salt.

First off Carolyn I am glad everyone liked your meat loaf.
Here is the deal with carbon steel.
I am going to take the time to explain all of this and hope you aren't insulted because you already know it.
First I dont know why they matched a stainless cutting blade with carbon steel plates.
But anyway.
When you get steel so clean there is no oil on it and it is so hot the water evaporates from it.
And the humidity is very high almost immediately it will form rust.
It will drive you crazy.
This can be a friend or foe depending on what you are doing.
This orange coloring of rust can be sanded off or steel wooled off and the steel will have a grey stain on it.
This is no big deal unless you are a sushi chef.
What you need to do whit carbon steel is to get it clean and dry it off with a dry towel and dunk it in mineral oil as fast as you can.
The oil will displace the water.
Just use the mineral oil they have at the store in the drug section.
It wont hurt the plates to have a grey patina on them.
My old ones do.
Now how to store them.
#10-12 grinder plates will just fit right inside your standard # 300 can this is the one a 14 to 15 or so ounce vegetables come in.
Or you can use a wide mouth pint jar.
Get a string and tie a short bamboo stick on each end put your knife and plates on the string by running the stick through.
Or you can make a tee with wire and put your plates on it.
What ever you decide to do just make it so the stick or wire can be grabbed and the stuff pulled out of the can or jar.
This will keep your stuff from rusting and help keep them sharp.
A few words on grinder plates.
They make about 3 different kinds.

Carbon steel ;like you have.
Stainless steel that is flat on both sides like yours.
And stainless steel that has a hub on one end.
This hub is there so you can grab it and pull the plate out easy.
Here is what I do with the ones with or without the hubs.
I simply bump the grinder switch with my hands out of the way and let everything fall into the bowl if it does fall.
There is no need to be sticking you fingers in there to get this stuff out.
Some people use a few slices of bread to help clean out the grinder and the holes in the plates.
Other people use crushed ice.
Big chunks of ice will lock the grinder up.
If you plan on using the grinder for stuffing you can buy a foot switch to run the grinder while you are stuffing.
I have stuffed with a stick and spoon.
With a grinder and with a stuffer.
I can say right now the stuffier is by far the best way to go.
Don't over size your stuffer.
A really big one will be a nightmare trying to stuff meat through a small 1/2 inch stuffing tube.
My 15 pound stuffer is just about the limit on size for this.
A smaller 5 pound one would be much better.
Tall narrow containers are better than short fat ones.
The reason is you dont have as much volume of meat being pushed into a small tube.

Now that you have a meat grinder I suggest you get a small 10 pound stuffer and make your own sausage.
You simply cannot believe how much better the stuff is.
I like meat grinding and stuffing so much I dont even consider it work.

Worth
Here is a link to the plates but the assortment of stainless steel is out of stock till after the first of the year.
http://www.sausagemaker.com/10-12-gr...tes-s/2106.htm

Here is the little 5 pound stuffer.
http://www.sausagemaker.com/5-lb-Sau...-p/18-1011.htm
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote