View Single Post
Old December 2, 2015   #14
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Worth, I use the 4 foot (two bulbs) T-12 fixtures that run about 12-15 bucks each and I load them with Daylight bulbs (6500 K). A box of 12 bulbs costs about $35. Both the fixtures and the bulbs can be had at Lowes.

I'm currently on year 6 for the first bulbs I bought. My seedling setup uses 2 fixtures on each of 4 levels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackyardFarm View Post
I used a couple T12 shoplight fixtures and daylight bulbs last year. It worked great and was cheap to purchase and to run. I used a $5 timer that is pretty cheaply made too but it worked fine and didn't break. I will add two to four more fixtures this year.

The guys in the store kept trying to get me to buy led or grow light kits and those were both well over a hundred each. (The one kit was over $300! Just for one light!) I couldn't afford that. And I'd read so many stories online of people just using shoplights I wasn't willing to spend $300 to make a salesman happy.

In my humble opinion you really don't need anything more fancy than cheap shoplights and daylight bulbs.
Guys this is all I have ever used the 6500 bright daylight.

In another life many many years ago I read a book on indoor growing and it said they were the best things to use.
Sears was remodeling so I looked in the construction dumpster and got everything I needed for free.
Even brand new carpet for the living room, they made a cutting mistake and tossed the whole thing.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote