View Single Post
Old November 24, 2015   #58
Growing West
Tomatovillian™

Hi, I live on a sunny bench above the Missouri River near Great Falls. This is truly a hardiness zone 4 area as every few years our Alberta neighbors get uncomfortabley low on Molson, and in stress, they send us innocent bystanders one of their famous clippers. Our growing seasons are usually about the warmest and longest in all of USDA hardiness zone 4, though. I've found over six growing seasons that many long season tomatoes can do okay here. My slightly more than anedoctal guess is that the one's that do the best are more adapted to cool nights.

Mammoth German Gold is one of my stars. I even got a few consistently in the shortest season area of Zone 4 along Lake Superior in Northern Minnesota. I got about fifteen from one plant this year. I have delivered plants to my elderly relatives in Kansas and Oklahoma, and they raved all about their flavor over the dozen or so other types. I like tomatoes with a good balance of tanginess and sweetness in the flavor. My wife and my mother both prefer sweet, my well decorated chief friend in San Fransisco prefers tangy and complex. All of us like really like Mammoth German Gold. I have tried Wagon Wheel, Pineapple, Hillbilly, Lucky Cross, Orange Russian 117, and Arkansas Traveler. Mammoth German Gold has universally beat them all in yield and in flavor amongst my divese group of tasters.

I also like Japanese Black Trifele and Morado de Aretxabaleta a lot for flavor. The latter started to come on near the end of the season and ripened well off the vine. The Cinnamon Pear yields great for me. I don't like really sweet or gel filled cherries. I prefer the meatiest textured ones I can find. I am still looking for the perfect cherry to my taste. The one's on my list are the closest I've trialed, but I am apparently the only odd person in the world who doesn't swoon over sungold types.

Black Mountain Pink is sort of a every second or third year trophy for me. I get a couple of perfectly formed giant one's at that interval when the season is long and the nights are mostly warm. I hope to get a cross from it with more northern reliability and just a little more zing.

Most of my list is now available from a combination of Marianna's and Secret Seed Cartel. A few I got from a couple of orders a few years ago from Tatiana. I ordered Joe's Pink Oxheart from the propriety source as seeds and as plants. The seed pack never germinated well and the few plants I got didn't thrive. I saved seeds from the plants that produced a lot of tasty, near perfect in form, but smaller than advertised tomatoes. Hopefully these do a lot better than those from the seed pack purchased a few years earlier.

Last edited by Growing West; November 24, 2015 at 12:08 AM.
Growing West is offline   Reply With Quote