View Single Post
Old October 27, 2015   #2
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Charley, I help out the high school greenhouse here. I try to supply them with seeds and offer advice on how to get stuff for small money. I have them doing the plant names on cut up mini-blinds, I have steered them to other seed sources that won't cancel orders and send non-viable seeds, and I am trying to educate the "overseer" and his supervision about keeping the quality up by looking for seeds locally. I give them everything I can and it is always "no charge". The small budget the high school operation runs on is pathetic, but the kids are learning and it shows.

My advice is to get a few other folks in your area involved. Find out what plants sell best at the local big box stores. I'm talking about flowers and veggies and any thing else that warrants a couple of 72 hole flats.

Around here, in the spring, the school places a couple of large signs along the main highway announcing the opening by posting the hours the greenhouse is open. The students grab plant carriers and accompany each customer to help them find the plants they want.

This year, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and squash plants went for $1.50 for a 3 plant plastic. Some of the flowers went for $1.00 each and some of the larger ones went for $2.50 each.

The proceeds go toward restocking for the next year. Any additional goes into a scholarship fund. They usually sell out eveything in about 3 weeks or less.

Around here, it's Rutgers, Mr. Stripey, Cherokee Purple, and then California Wonder Bell Pepper, Cayenne, Jalapeno, and serrano peppers, and then Burpless Cucumbers, Yellow Squash, and then various flowers that do well here in East Tennessee.

There now, that should give you some ideas.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote