Thread: Hardening?
View Single Post
Old February 26, 2006   #5
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the tips and advise.

I have always been rather lazy when it comes to hardening; putting the plants out an hour or two each day for at least one week before planting time (if I remembered to do it at all). I wanted to do a better job of it this year to see if it would be beneficial. My tomatoes have always survived, but I have killed many brassicas due to wind damage.

I've just recently purchased a portable greenhouse, so I am putting the plants in there for hardening, and yes, I am bringing them in each night. Temps are still dipping below freezing at night here. My light stand is a pretty constant 68 degrees. I try to put my plants outside when the conditions in the greenhouse match that. I have only fertilized with very weak fish emulsion once.

My goal is to get about 40 plants in the ground early with WOWs; that is why I am already hardening plants. Others I will pot in hanging baskets and pots and keep indoors until conditions are right outside, meanwhile continuing to put them in the greenhouse for as much natural light as is available.

Any other comments or suggestions?

Lisa