View Single Post
Old September 24, 2015   #3
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

While I've not done a controlled study and collected data, I've always maintained that a particular variety, in a particular year, and from a particular plant will have seeds that are consistantly the same size in a given year. I know that doesn't help, but what I'm saying is that I let the plants tell me each year what size the seeds will be within a given variety. So, what I look for is the size of the seeds from a particular plant will be be somewhat consistant.

Also, I do like the larger seeds. The plants they give me seem to have more vigor. I have "guessed" that it might be due to the larger germplasm they contain. Now small fruited cherries like Matt's Wild Cherry will have consistantly smaller seeds when compared to most other tomato types. The seeds of Sara's Galapagos are just slightly larger than Matt's Wild Cherry and slightly smaller than most saladette sized fruits. Some large one pound sized fruits will have smaller seeds than most of the Dwarf Project varieties.

What I'm saying here is that each variety will tell you what its average size is from a given plant. Generally, when two or more plants are used to gather seed in a given year, there will be almost no differences in the sizes of the seeds.

Now, add to that there are probably several dozen variables that can affect this and you have your answer - it varies.

BTW, I throw any seeds that are smaller than the average size in a given batch coming out of the fermentation.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote