View Single Post
Old September 17, 2015   #33
tedln

If you want more tomatoes than a normal human can ever use, plant Juliet hybrid. The taste isn't that great and the skins are a little tough, but the skin removes easily after blanching and they cook well with many dishes. The flavor seems to intensify when cooked. I also freeze a lot in quart sized zip lock bags after blanching for winter cooking.

If you want a very productive cherry tomato that tastes identical to it's larger cousins, plant Risentraube or Husky Red Cherry. I planted Husky Red for the first time this year in early March. The same plants are still producing well and will continue to produce until the first frost in November.

I've never been a fan of most sweet cherry tomatoes, but I have been impressed with the taste, health; and productivity of Sweet Quartz hybrid. It isn't sugary sweet like many varieties, but it is definitely sweet. They rarely make it into my house because I eat most as I pick them.

Black Cherry is one of my favorites. I didn't like it the first couple of years I grew it because it seemed to have an astringent taste. I finally learned to allow them to ripen on the vine until soft and the flavor becomes sweet and unlike any other cherry tomato. The only thing I don't like about Black Cherry is it always seems to die soon after the first high heat of mid summer arrives.

I liked Carbon Copy and Matt's Black Cherry this year, but both succumbed quickly when the real summer heat arrived. Both would probably be excellent cherry tomatoes in cooler climates.

Ted