View Single Post
Old September 13, 2015   #66
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Well I am reading stuff here and there.I will give you some examples of what I am reading and it is mostly research from Universities, government papers etc.It is not from MOM AND POPS GARDEN BLOG.

And I can honestly say I have not seen one paper say that at some point you shouldn't stir.I guess it doesn't mean they are right.But you are definitely in the minority on this one.

Here are a couple of examples, I can produce more but not tonight.The first one has a lot of interesting stuff about Pollination and other stuff that may be of interest to others

For natural fermentation,
the pulp containing the seeds is left to ferment for up to 3
days at temperatures between 18 and 25C
(George, 1999; Peñaloza 2001). The time of
fermentation depends on the temperature. The
mix of gelatinous seeds and juice must be
stirred frequently in order to achieve a uni
form fermentation rate in the container.
Fermentation is done when the gelatinous coating of the seeds has broken; exceeding the
fermentation time negatively affect
s seed quality (George, 1999).

http://seedbiology.osu.edu/HCS630_fi...er,%20text.pdf

In fermentation methods, the selected ripe fruits are harvested, crushed and allowed for fermentation in non-metallic containers at room temperature for two to three days. The pulps remain in the extract until the gel surrounding the seeds has been degraded by microorganisms (Eevera and Vanangamudi, 2006). The mixture should be stirred at once or twice a day to maintain a uniform rate of fermentation, also to release the seeds entrapped in the floating pulp and to prevent a fungal growth from starting at the surface of the mass, which can injure or discolour seeds (Raymond, 1999). When fermentation is complete, the good seeds settle down at the bottom and much of the pulp floats at the top, leaving a layer of clear liquid in between (Desai, 2004). Fermentation should take place long enough for the sufficient disintegration mucilaginous material adhering to the seed. The speed or duration of fermentation process is largely dependent on the temperature. If it remains between 24 to 27°C, satisfactory separation of seed and pulp may be achieved within 48 to 72 h (Agrawal, 1995). In relatively high temperatures (25-30°C) the fermentation is complete in approximately 24 h (Fenwick-Kelly and George, 1998). Excessive fermentation reduces seed quality. Usually the longer the fermentation time and the higher the temperature resulted in the greater reduction in germination (Silva et al., 1982). Fermentation should be a controlled process because if continued too long, it creates heat and mechanical injury to the seeds (McDonald and Copeland, 1997). Also long fermentation can cause premature sprouting (Eevera and Vanangamudi, 2006). Liptay (1989) stated that with long term fermentation percentage germination was declined severely at 25°C or higher temperatures.

http://www.scialert.net/fulltext/?do....820#539926_ja

seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote