View Single Post
Old September 6, 2015   #90
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

OK - I checked the bag and it fits great. It's a compactor bag from HD. 18 gallon (not 30) - 30 bags per carton.

It is approximately 33" not counting the flap. 2.5 Mil (the husky is 3 Mil but feels much thicker). EB is advertised as 29" - Width is no problem at all.
I would keep the bag folded so approx. 5 Mil. so $.33 each. I think they could be reused.

Here is the link: http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-18-Ga...9933/203473002

I wonder if Duct taping would work to keep it in place. That would be the cheapest option.

Here are the clamps (multiple sets) that we bought at least 3 years ago. We bought them when we put in the raised bed and use them to hold down shade cloth. I ended up buying snap clamps for esthetics. And later bought a custom made 12x12 shade cloth held down with bungee cords.

The plastic pieces on the ends break off almost immediately but the spring still works. Mine are outside all the time. I use them now for putting up shade cloth for my seedlings. So I am always putting up/taking down the shade cloth. When not it use, I leave them attached to the PVC pipe so they are always in the element.

The really big ones are useless to me b/c they are so hard to open - need 2 hands. I use the 2 mid size ones a lot for the shading and even holding some of the solarize bags on the EB. The tiny ones I use to hold the drip tubing.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...073F/203404716

One thing nice about buying them at HD, is you can see what you are getting. They came in a mesh type bag.

----
On one of my EB being solarized, I didn't have casters - just mover's dolly so it took much more room in the bag and couldn't tie if off - I ended up closing the open side with duct tape so I can give you an idea about how the duct tape works - hopefully not too sticky when I take it off.
-----
RE: Solarizing - my original clear bag started disintegrating on top. It was out there for > 3 months - took it off - kind of a petroleum smell though.

The Husky bags are holding up great. One had a split on top (I don't know why), but I had taken it off and laid it on top with the plastic clamps.

What are you using to hold down your solarizing bags on the EB? That would be what you want to do for the new 'shower cap'.

---
I wrote my planting incorrectly - I plant first then put the cap on. So I have to cut the shower cap first; it's not too hard to gage the cuts when I have an empty EB next to it. I know the directions are to cut and then plant, but my plants are too big for those little holes.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote