View Single Post
Old September 5, 2015   #86
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Marsha - they are $1.49 each at EB if you buy 50 - which would work OK for you. They should be about $.50 each; but the problem is that the shipping is $18.95 which is the same as shipping 3 EB. Those covers are really light.

The covers at Amazon are approx. $12-13 for 2 - which is just insane - might as well get the fertilizer/dolomite for an extra $1.

When I first got my EB, I bought a lot of the replenishing kits, so I still have extra covers.

Do you cut and then plant, or plant and then cut? I cut first, so mine starts off pretty bad with duct tape over it. I put fairly large plants in the EB.

To save $, I doubled up on used ones which worked out OK. What worked even better is one used one, and then the thicker plastic from perlite (could be potting mix, etc) for the top layer and I just clamped them down with plastic spring clamps.

My husband is going to hike the GA section of the AT in October and bought 2 ply WHITE 30 gallon bags - smaller and lighter than my soil solarizing bags. I will measure tomorrow, and let you know it they fit an EB top and if so, that would be a cheap alternative.

Do you use the white side or black? I use the white side up. If you use the black side, you could get at least 2 covers from 1 bag - that would be about $.25 plus whatever you will use to attach it.

----
Ginny - excited you are getting the EB bug.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote