View Single Post
Old September 2, 2015   #79
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by elight View Post
I have 6 tomatoes out in SWCs, and another 5 in the ground. Also a pepper plant and 8 cucumbers. I put everything out very early in the hopes of getting a jump on the season and also because I am now on vacation and didn't want to wait until I get back. I'm holding off on fertilizer probably for another week to make sure they don't get ahead of themselves. Hopefully the weather cooperates and we'll have tomatoes for Thanksgiving. Worst case scenario, if they can't take the heat of the next few weeks, I can always replant with store-bought transplants. Very excited, though about some new varieties including Big Beef, Sean's Yellow Dwarf, Bundaberg Rumball and Cosmonaut Volkov. Tried to limit it to shorter season varieties.
I also grow tomatoes in Orlando. Of the varieties you are growing, the only one I have grown is Big Beef (BB). I grew 2 BB plants in the fall of 2014. One of them did better that the other and produced quite a few large tomatoes. I transplanted it in early September and the vine was dead due to Early Blight in early January. I am trying many different varieties now but I will probably return to growing BB sometime in the future. God Willing
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote