View Single Post
Old August 17, 2015   #47
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Another thing I have now discovered is the gauges on the two canners.
The All American has a lid that is thick enough to use a gauge that connects with a 1/8 inch standard national pipe thread.
evidently the Presto since 1978 the lid is thinner and it requires a nutted gauge with a rubber gasket and washer.
Prior to January 1978 they used a a NPT threaded gauge.
Thinner metal would be the only reason I could see for the change but I may be wrong.

It also seems to me that if the weights are as accurate as they claim to be then a person would never have to have the dial gauge tested on that canner.
The weights never change and aren't mechanical.
In other words if it reads zero and spans without sticking and the steam is released on the 10 pound weight and the gauge reads 10 pounds then it is okay.
You would check it with the 5 and 15 pound weights also.
If I am not mistaking there are three weights each representing three pounds with the presto you can buy.
If it is so, then you would start at 5 and work your way up adding a weight after each test.
You couldn't do this with the All American as it would require you to remove the weight and release steam each rotation of the weight.
You would have to let it cool off first each time.
Does this make sense?

Why am I even saying this because you can have them tested for free here in the US.
Not everyone is in the US and that is why I am posting this.
It would be a way to test your gauge if you have no other way.
It would also be a good way to see how accurate that cheap gauge is on the canner.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote