View Single Post
Old August 15, 2015   #3
travis
Tomatovillian™

Is the original question whether any commercial hybrids are comprised of one pure breeding line x one single species other than Solanum lycopersicum?

There are many modern hybrids that have Solanum pimpinellifolium in their pedigree, usually to capture certain disease resistances, but then the resulting outcross is subsequently backcrossed to the larger parent multiple times to attain the full sized breeding line.

There are folks who speculate Sun Gold as being a cherry breeding line x Solanum cheesmanaie, but in all the grow outs of F2, F3, etc. of Sun Gold and other Sun-sister lines, I have never seen anything that looks like cheesmanaie; so, I think it's a bit more complicated than that.

While some folks insist that modern hybrids can be comprised of "up to 8 parental inputs," I believe it's gone quite farther than that recently with hybrids like Tasti-Lee having umpteen parental inputs on each side of its pedigree brackets.

As to a specific commercial hybrid with a wild species as a singular and pure parental input, the resulting hybrid would surely be small, like a grape or cherry size fruit, since the F1 pretty much will be the square root of a x b in weight.

Last edited by travis; August 15, 2015 at 04:27 PM.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote