View Single Post
Old August 9, 2015   #1
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Default What exactly is a 'Fingerling" potato,and which tastes best?

I apologize.I don't know much bout Taters.

Some of you may have noticed that I reside in SE Asia..actually the Philippines.I cannot remember the last time I had a potato that actually had good potato flavor,even when we still lived in Oregon.I have only seen 2 varieties here locally.Both were potatoes,but not much for flavor..

I could really use some advice on what varieties might be a good choice to try based on flavor.I'm not stuck on fingerlings either,although I would enjoy growing a variety or 2.

Part of the problem is,for me at least,sourcing seed potatoes at the right time.US sources don't ship before late Oct.I have all my garden treasures sent to my Sis in Oregon.She then send them on to me,but she isn't always able to send us a box,as she works 6 days a week,and has a disabled husband at home.A shipment from home normally take 6-8 weeks.I don't doubt that seed potatoes might survive a trip of that duration,but the trick is to find some in the first place.I don't think they have any of those Whole Foods markets (or similar) locally.Last time we were there,they had a Farmers Market like once a week,but I don't remember there being much variety there.Do sellers at Farmers Markets normally provide varietal name when they sell their produce?That might be an option,as the Sis will be sending a box in Sept sometime...

I found the site for Ronningers (which is now potatogarden.com) and I looked at The Potato Lady as well,but no one ships before Mid Oct..

Woops.Kinda got sidetracked.

I just meant to ask what a Fingerling potato is,and what some good tasting (old time potato taste) varieties are that I might look out for..or have the Sis look out for?

Thanks.

Trop

Last edited by Tropicalgrower; August 9, 2015 at 03:37 AM.
Tropicalgrower is offline   Reply With Quote