View Single Post
Old August 6, 2015   #35
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Hello again everyone.

To summarize, it seems there are quite a few options to combat Tomato Bugs.

Neem at high doses attacks the nymphs, but leaves the adults untouched. Spinosad is apparently in the same boat. So multiple applications are needed and I guess one has to wait out the adults to die well-fed.

Sevin, Malathion, Triazicide, pyrethroids, will take them both down.

Soaps/detergents also keep them at bay, unclear re: nymph/adult.

It is a true/hard insect so it should be susceptible to DE.

I don't like doing this but sometimes it's necessary:
  • Tomorrow AM I spray 1st with deltamethrin (purchased a 250 mL bottle at a decent price, and it lingers for 2 wks, perhaps less in full sun)
  • Then a subsequent spraying with diazinone (in hand already as Pops' go-to ant killer). The target will be the new growth where they A) lay their eggs, and B) spend most of their time. The delay has been in acquiring the respiratory gear and of course no exposed skin, and always mindful of air currents.
  • 3 days later, high dose Neem/DE.
  • And 3 days after that, I'll repeat the deltamethrin/diazinone.
  • If they survive then they've earned their place and I'll make them full citizens of my garden.
  • For subsequent insect control, I'll likely continue with high dose Neem/Spinosad and hopefully, fingers crossed, occasional deltamethrin and DE.

I'll continue reporting. The plants look healthy otherwise, just the trusses affected. I don't have the bad defoliation you see in some of the links. I'm sure they'll bounce right back.

EDIT: And I just read the above post, so Botanigard's Beauveria bassiana strain GHA Mycoinsecticide can also do the job. Thanks kurt and ginger for clearing it up.

Last edited by Gerardo; August 6, 2015 at 01:58 AM.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote