View Single Post
Old August 4, 2015   #22
Karrr_Luda
Tomatovillian™

That is so cool, so you must remember some of the process, no? And they had no recipes written down anywhere? You could probably find a similar recipe online. I make my own dark sourdough rye bread (russian) brick shaped in a bread pan and another more complicated Lithuanian recipe that requires some hard to find special ingredients and extra steps. I don't bake in the summer, so miss it already.. Rye flour I get at a local shoprite store. Do you have shop-rite in Minnesota? I call them first if they have it in stock , they sell it in 5 lb. packages. I used to order rye flour online in 50 lb bags too, not any more, much less expensive at shoprite. I got these recipes in russian, I can probably translate them and send them to you at least the simpler one if you like. You would need some sourdough starter first........ i can send you some dried starter that you can mix with rye flour and water to make fresh. Similar recipe here in English http://www.rootsimple.com/2012/12/ho...man-rye-bread/ I usually add two tbsp of blackstrap molasses to mine when i mix the final dough, the rest of ingredients is basically the same - of the simpler version.
Horseradish - if any grocery store sells the root, you can plant that in a pot or somewhere in the garden and it will grow. You can use slices of peeled root instead of the leaves, done it a few times, works great for flavor.
Never heard of barley bread though, sounds interesting, something to find

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Thanks, Kelli, I don't have a horseradish plant, but wild grapes are everywhere, so leaves are easy to come by. I will go easy on the amount the first time.

Karr - thanks for the link, I will forward that to my sis! I was skeptical about the bread in the brine, but good to know it can be done that way. My folks used to bake their own rye and barley breads. A coarse, moist, dense, real peasant bread. They also had a slightly lighter colored sourdough version. They had to special order the flour in huge sacks through some store or bakery because it isn't generally available. I remember they stored the flour in huge hip-high round tin containers under the basement stairs. My dad had made an old time wooden tub that they used for raising the dough. It's a shame we never wrote down the exact recipes or steps.