View Single Post
Old March 13, 2007   #25
gardenmaniac
Tomatovillian™

I use both peat pellets and Park's Bio Domes depending on my mood. I like them both for different reasons. The bio dome plugs are spongy and do not degrade in the garden for several years. If you remove the netting from the Jiffy pellets, this is not an issue.

I once had an entire bio dome (without lid) of my precious pepper plants fly several feet into the air off of a window sill and the plugs flew out, bounced on the tile floor and most were in perfect condition. The problem was, I had no idea what pepper was what after that. DH and son pointed at each other .

I label the rows and columns of each styrofoam block as a grid with a sharpie. I then name the block. I have four Bio Domes so I was getting confused. I then have a print-out chart I write the variety names on, date planted, and emergence date. Some years, I don't feel like ordering from Parks and just fall back on Jiffy pellets.

One note is, the first year, I was having problems with fungus gnats emerging from the Bio Dome plugs. When I called Parks, they linked me to a horticulturist who told me that the eggs are naturally ocurring in the material used for the plugs. She told me to pour boiling water over the plugs and let them soak for about 10 mins. Since the plugs are spongy this does not harm them. This kills the eggs.

I do believe peat is part of the bio dome plug formula. I think that's where the gnat eggs come from.

Good luck with your new set up!

Tiffanie
gardenmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote