View Single Post
Old July 27, 2015   #3
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I sell at 3 dollars a pound, or for smaller salad, saladette and cherry types; 2 dollars a pint. That generally stays fairly consistent as since I am selling out front instead of a farmer's market, there is no chance as of yet to flood the market. Last year when I tried to sell to some faithful customers at a discount, I kept getting resistance. Like tips, and "keep the change"s, and people purposely over paying when I was gone. The funniest was when I just sat down a bag of fresh picked mixed maters on the table, and went inside to use the bathroom. I was going to come back out, sort the culls, separate the cherries etc..... I came back out and all my tomatoes were gone, every one. At first I thought some one stole them, but turns out they left behind cash, about triple what I would typically charge for firsts!

I found out later who did it, and tried to make it right, but they refused! They had overpaid on purpose and were very happy with the culls, as they were making sauce anyway. Apparently their sauce was so good, they had never even come close to tasting anything like it before. They seemed to be insulted that I would try to refund their money or give free tomatoes.

I gave them some free fresh basil and tarragon instead.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote